Update #1 – 9th May: Added Rumours section to this post.
Update #2 – 10th May: Added features to wishlist based on ideas from EverythingApplePro video linked below.
Apple’s WWDC 2017 is just one month away now, so I have taken the time over the past couple of weeks to complete this list.
I will this year be taking the same approach as I did for my iOS 10 Wishlist, but I will also be doing also not just for the next version of macOS (let’s call it 10.13 for now) but for watchOS 4 as well, as I got myself an Apple Watch Series 2 for Christmas and after using it for a few month or so, I can start to get a feeling of what needs to be added to that OS and you may expect a review from me on it at some point in the future.
Anyways we expect the usual announcement of all these software updates at WWDC this June and released in September this year.
As many of you would know, iPhone is now 10 years old, which is 10 years since the initial version of iOS (then called iPhone OS) was released. We are expecting new hardware this year that represents a more significant change compared to last year, but that’s another discussion point for another time.
Because we have a major update in hardware this year for the phone alone, it may also mean we get more significant updates to the operating system itself.
Top 10 Wishlist
Before I list every single little change that I want to see in iOS 11, I am going to quickly highlight the top 10 things I want to see in the next major update (in no particular order).
- Dark Mode across the whole OS
- Improved Siri that is comparable to Google Assistant and have offline use
- Apple step into Augmented Reality realm
- Swift 4
- TV app released worldwide
- Apple Pay support for all major banks in Australia (not just ANZ)
- Improved Slide Over menu and multitasking on iPad
- Customizable 3D Touch menu in settings for app icons
- Improved Home Screen with widgets no strict app icon layout
- Customizable Control Centre
I am taking the assumption that most people will get the general gist of what I want in the next update just from that list alone, but now is the time, where I create the massive list that is of every single feature/tweak I want to see in iOS.
This list is somewhat an extension/update on what I did last year, but will also include a few more since iOS 10’s release and has more of a focus of what I personally want to see and not as much a collection of what everyone on the internet wants to see.
New Features (9):
- New Feature: Augmented Reality application that would work with an upcoming headset that Tim Cook hints at continuously since Q1 2015/16 financial results in Jan 2016.
- New Feature: Universal Night/Dark Mode like on OS X Yosemite but take it a step further and apply it to Apple apps that have a white background and compatible API for developers to use and option to turn on automatically at night etc. Make this do-able via Interface Builder will make it a lot easier for support to get colours right etc.
- New Feature: Ultra Low Power Mode that turns off all services except for phone calls and SMS and black and white screen (making the last more important on iPhone 8).
- New Feature: Provide an estimate time left to recharge an iOS device on the lock screen.
- New Feature: Offer the option to make a device unlock when paired to an Apple Watch that is logged in.
- New Feature: Allow Facebook Messenger to use bubbles for current chats when the app is running in the background to make it quicker to access, like what is do-able on Android.
- New Feature: Toggle switch while in Split View mode to switch the apps to opposite sides of the screen, so people don’t need to open the apps in a set way.
- New Feature: Apple stepping up its efforts into the recently revamped Apple Podcasts (formerly iTunes Podcasts) when it comes to features for podcasters for creating and distributing podcasts.
- New Feature: Built-in VPN support to improve internet security mainly for people who still continuously connect to public Wi-Fi hotspots.
- AirPlay: Peer-to-Peer AirPlay being overruled even when both are connected to the same Wi-Fi network for improved performance (only used when one is not on Wi-Fi currently).
- AirPlay: Multi-room AirPlay support for iOS, especially for Apple Music throughout a house etc.
App Store (4):
- App Store: Ability to tap on app icon in Updates screen on App Store on iPad, to see the whole app’s details like you would if you search for an app. Can be done on iPhone but not on iPad.
- App Store: Improved search algorithms that provide more accurate search results. E.g. searching for a particular app by exact name could end up being a dozen down in the list of search results. This one exception should over-rule all other search algorithms.
- App Store: Improved charts algorithms to recommend new and note worthy apps and not necessarily rehashes of existing apps. E.g. Flappy Bird.
- App Store: Sort the updates section into some form of chronological order for available updates. Whether it be by name alphabetically or by date with most recent at top, or even by app download size.
Apple ID/Accounts (3):
- Apple ID/Accounts: Multiple Account Login (at least on iPad) and could be achieved via Touch ID with one fingerprint each. Already supported in the education environment, so why not on a personal basis.
- Apple ID/Accounts: Support for a guest mode that has only the default iOS apps without access to any of your personal data, or even all apps but all the apps all reset as if they have just been used for the first time, every-time you enter guest mode.
- Apple ID/Accounts: Option to pick certain items to not sync to all family members on a Family Sharing account, including Calendars, Notes etc. by admin of Family Sharing account setting the option to individual so no sync between any.
Apple Music/Music App (18):
- Music: Customizable/rearrangeable tabs at the bottom.
- Music: Option to load a music application when you connect headphones of any sort.
- Apple Music: Option for producers to allow users to stream podcasts only on Apple Music if it helps create funding (competitor to Patreon).
- Music App: Support for Digital Booklets from iTunes purchases in the iOS Music app.
- Apple Music: Digital Booklets from music albums added to Apple Music with dedicated section to view them all in.
- Apple Music: Option to download music from Apple Music at 128kbps on any device with any form of Internet connection.
- Apple Music: Improved way of understanding what playlists are synced between devices and which are not and option to make certain playlists device exclusive.
- Apple Music: Option to make music not deleted when signing out of Apple Music (if using different Apple ID for testing apps on the same device) for at least 24 hours before it self deletes.
- Apple Music: Option to not sync playlists between devices that are subscribed on Apple Music. Few extra playlists on iTunes that you do not need on your iPhone or iPad.
- Music App: When a song is queued by you to play next have the option to play all songs after it that are on that album or playlist.
- Music App: Allow artwork for playlists in the iPad Music app to change the background colour and not have it as just white regardless of thumbnail image.
- Apple Music: Notification/Following system on Apple Music so you get notifications if artists have a live show on Beats 1 or a new song or album out.
- Music App: Add a forward and back 15 second skipping buttons, as easier than fiddling with a progress bar to just go back a few seconds.
- Apple Music: Addition of collaborative playlists, which you add people via their Apple ID.
- Music App: Make the New Playlist button at the top of the playlist screen, be just a plus symbol in the navigation bar next to sort in the top right (like the new button on iPad Music app under Playlists).
- Music App: Allow playlists to be sorted manually.
- Music App: Allow playlists to be sorted in existing options as ascending or descending on a per device basis.
- Music App: Fade out music as you close out of the music app or even when you pause and resume songs.
Apple Maps (5):
- Apple Maps: Indoor Mapping support in Apple Maps.
- Apple Maps: Street View support in Apple Maps.
- Apple Maps: Augmented Reality mode in Apple Maps app that shows you businesses or buildings you can see with your camera.
- Apple Maps: Support for real lane guidance while using turn-by-turn directions.
- Apple Maps: Be able to provide toll road costs upon request when going on a selected route.
Apple News (2):
- Apple News: Universal News App (Facebook News Feed, Twitter feed and Apple News feed all in one).
- Apple News: Support for Apple News app in more countries and languages.
Apple Pay (3):
- Apple Pay: Peer-to-Peer Mobile Payment Solution (Apple Pay but between Apple devices).
- Apple Pay: Apple Pay support for all major banks and credit cards in Australia.
- Apple Pay: Allow Apple Pay to get cash out at ATM’s in Australia for businesses that do cash only.
Apple Watch App (2):
- Apple Watch: Be able to pair one Apple Watch to more than one iPhone for people that might own two with one for work and one for personal since no dual-sim support.
- Apple Watch: Be able to customize the alert sounds.
- Camera: Widescreen Photos mode in Camera app.
- Camera: Camera format improvements that maintain quality but reduce file size, as 12MP and 4K.
- Camera: Option for QHD (2560×1440) video recording instead of 4K, if using a 16GB iPhone.
- Camera: Ability to change video resolution in the camera app directly.
- Camera: Ability to open the camera by double pressing the power/lock button like other smartphones.
- Camera: Option to take photos and videos at a lower resolution automatically if you are low on storage space. E.g. less than 2GB free space.
- Camera: Manual Camera mode in default iOS Camera app.
- Camera: Change swipe between modes in iOS camera app to a single button menu as faster.
- Camera: Add the ability to toggle 3×3 grid for the camera, in the camera app itself.
- Camera: Camera API that enables code recognition from multiple apps like a Snapchat code or Facebook Messenger code.
- Camera: Option to use Artificial Intelligence to scan images and use algorithms to help reduce the file sizes of images where possible.
- CarPlay: Option to use your iPhone in CarPlay mode for if you do not have a new car with CarPlay built into the navigation screen. I struggle to see this happening though as it would defeat the purpose of Apple licensing out the software to car manufacturers, but will bring it on bar to competing with Android Auto on Android 7.0 Nougat. (EverythingApplePro)
- Clock: Option to set a playlist as your alarm sound to play a song randomly from it.
- Clock: Increase the size of the snooze button to make it easier to press when you’ve been woken up by the alarm.
- Contacts: Ability to create contact groups to make it quicker to send out an SMS to multiple people.
Control Centre (2):
- Control Centre: Go back to a single page control centre.
- Control Centre: Rearrangeable toggles at the top of Control Centre.
- Compatibility: Chromecast/Audio support (but not announced for iOS or at least included in Apple Music app on Android).
- Compatibility: Better optimised applications for iPad Pro 12.9inch in regards to UI.
- Compatibility: Option to run macOS when in keyboard mode on iPad Pro 12.9inch and work with optional Bluetooth mouse or Apple Pencil. (Can result in the first so called cellular MacBook and a true Surface Pro competitor).
- Compatibility: Support for NFC (Near Field Communication) accessories that use tap and go (e.g. headphones for pairing) on iPhone 6 and later, but not necessarily an API for developers to use, to keep up security for Apple Pay etc.
- Compatibility: Re-written Apple default apps in Swift for better performance if not already completed.
- Compatibility: Maintain the same level of performance on older hardware by optimizing to old Apple A-Numbered series chips.
- Compatibility: Make it possible to print to any printer that is on the same Wi-Fi LAN Network that the iPad is connected too. Will help a lot in the enterprise and business markets encouraging users to use iPads instead of laptops.
- Compatibility: Redesigned status bar to be better suited for larger devices like iPad Pro 12.9inch due to large gaps at the top and being small text on a large surface, and for iPhone 8 with bezel-less design.
- Compatibility: Mirror your iPhone or iPad screen to QuickTime on macOS without the need of a USB cable. Along the lines of an AirPlay like setup.
- Compatibility: Improved battery life.
- Compatibility: Weather App for iPad.
- Compatibility: Calculator App for iPad.
- Compatibility: Support for 50:50 Split View in Portrait mode.
- Compatibility: Option for Picture in Picture video to still be visible while in multitasking mode or pause it until out of multitasking mode.
- Compatibility: Split View support two windows at the same time of the same application. E.g. two word documents opened side by side.
- Compatibility: A simple way to drag and drop files between apps in split-view mode.
- Compatibility: Support for all iOS default apps to work in landscape mode on iPhone Plus models.
- Compatibility: Further implementation with Apple’s share sheet in default iOS apps.
Compass App (1):
- Compass App: UI Redesign for Compass app to have a white background with black text as it seems out of place compared to other default iOS apps, but use current design when device is in dark mode.
- Developer: iTunes Connect submitting apps/update be easier and faster (drag and drop file into web browser).
- Developer: Bug Reporting app from App Store for public versions of iOS (ban people via Apple ID for that service if they abuse it).
- Developer: Swift 4.0 Released.
- Developer: Be able to scroll with a mouse scroll wheel in Xcode Simulators on table views and scroll views as feels more natural for development, like in Android Studio Emulators.
- Developer: Give developers options for redemption codes that the general public can redeem in the iOS App Store app for paid apps and in-app purchases that can be distributed via social media etc. Not to be confused with promo codes that was introduced in 2016.
- Developer: Iris Scanner APIs for developers to use.
- Developer: Create an API for 3rd party developers to use the clock status bar icon for alarms that are enabled in their own apps.
- Developer: Markup View Controller that lets developers integrate a drawing mode like from the Notes app into developers own apps to save them from creating the mode from scratch.
- Developer: Make iOS apps compatible on macOS to make it easier to get more downloads and more people using their software. E.g. creates a shift from needing to go to Facebook in web browser but use a Facebook app for example.
- Developer: Have a new mode in Xcode that allows developers to create simple image assets that could easily be made in programs like Microsoft Paint and save as vector images for reduce file sizes.
- Developer: Support for PiP videos that are not of an Apple default/QuickTime compatible format.
- Developer: Expand Apple Music API to support Lyrics in 3rd party apps.
- Developer: Allow Xcode to run in Power Saving Mode so if you are doing a lot of bulk changes, it will not run the CPU as often as you are basically text editing. Like what Android Studio has.
- FaceTime: FaceTime Conference/Group Video Calling.
- FaceTime: Bring out a FaceTime application for Android so iOS users can video call users on other platforms (instead of Skype).
- FaceTime: Option when leaving a message after declining a call to only be visible in FaceTime app and not in Messages to keep the context relevant.
- FaceTime: Option to switch from a video call to an audio call and vice versa, mid-way through a call.
- FaceTime: Option to share your iPhone’s screen with someone via FaceTime.
- FaceTime: Allow the user to view the person making the call before you answer the video phone call, like what Google Duo does.
Game Centre (1):
- Game Centre: Option to disable Game Centre banner appearing every time you open an App Store game that uses it, which would also be useful for people making videos.
- Handoff: Option for Handoff working via Wi-Fi only and no need for Bluetooth to save battery life, for those that do not have an Apple Watch.
- Handoff: Get Handoff to work for iOS apps to webpages in default web browser on macOS (e.g. Facebook native iOS app to website on macOS, even if you have to login on your Mac).
- Handoff: Get Handoff to work for Apple Music and other similar Apple apps to iTunes on your Mac (or equivalent apps if they get split in next version of macOS) and continue playing the song/video/podcast and at the same precise moment into it.
Home Screen (12):
- Home Screen: No strict layout for home screen (remove top left to bottom right formula for app icon placement).
- Home Screen: Dynamic app icons for developers. Like calendar updating daily, which Apple could do this for Activity app with current day rings progress.
- Home Screen: Panoramas for the home screen.
- Home Screen: Option to swipe down anywhere on home screen for notification centre and spotlight only appearing on the far left home screen.
- Home Screen: Customizable app widgets that look and act like glances or complications from watchOS on the home screen. E.g. Activity app shows your details but tap on it loads the app.
- Home Screen: 3rd Party Themes to change the home screen and lock screen via separate apps like Android.
- Home Screen: Option to disable landscape home screen on iPhone Plus models.
- Home Screen: Nested folders on the home screen.
- Home Screen: Able to have more app icons on the home screen on iPad or more so on iPad Pro 12.9inch.
- Home Screen: Option for developers to add app icons that have a transparent background like some Android app icons.
- Home Screen: Option to sort apps on home screen based on criteria such as alphabetical, badges, colour brightness, hue, random, reds or usage. (EverythingApplePro)
- Home Screen: App Icons that do not have the strict border like they all do on iOS to date. (EverythingApplePro)
- iCloud: More iCloud Storage space if you own multiple iOS devices (not same 5GB for backups for iPhone, iPad and MacBook) or for iCloud Family Sharing users.
- iCloud: Improved reliability and upload speeds to Apple’s servers for iCloud Backups.
- iCloud: Improved file management system whether it is in iCloud Drive or integrated into iOS apps.
- iCloud: More granular controls over iCloud Photo backups as to best times to do the backup, what albums to backup (for privacy reasons) etc.
- iCloud: Stronger form of encryption for iCloud backups and synced data.
iTunes Connect (1):
- iTunes Connect: Dramatically improved uploading process to get apps to App Store. Hardly works in Xcode 8 and uses multiple gigabytes of upload data for an app that may be 15MB.
- Keyboard: Option for Command Key for the iPad Pro On-Screen Keyboard to make it easier to do shortcuts like you would on macOS. E.g. CMD + C for Copy and CMD + V for paste.
- Keyboard: Option for a number row to appear at the top of the on screen keyboard. (EverythingApplePro)
Lock Screen (6):
- Lock Screen: Be able to swipe right all the way across the screen on lock screen notifications to delete notification.
- Lock Screen: Option to display current weather temperature on the lock screen before Date appears based on your current location or pre-set location.
- Lock Screen: Option to draw a path to unlock your device instead of a 4 or 6 digit PIN or alphanumeric password as another alternative backup for Touch ID.
- Lock Screen: Iris Scanner support on the lock screen (could come in iPhone 8).
- Lock Screen: Double tap on the screen when locked to show the lock screen as an alternative to lock button or Touch ID (could come in iPhone 8).
- Lock Screen: Ability to set a specific app to open by dragging from the bottom left upwards on the lock screen if no other relevant apps from Handoff or music app etc. that needs to be shown.
- Mail: Ability to select all emails and delete all for the particular folder/inbox of the email account (or optionally turn on via restrictions being how nasty it could be to accidentally do).
- Mail: Add support for Markup to write annotations in emails with support from the Apple Pencil.
- Messages: Read Receipts for group messages (like FaceBook Messenger).
- Messages: Be able to mark a single message or conversation (with an single contact or group) as unread to come back to later, and optionally automatically add it to notification centre.
- Messages: Have a toggle to display options to take a photo, send heart rate and access the app store, for people that do not use those features that often.
- Multitasking: Swipe up on home screen in multitasking tray to close all apps in the background.
- Multitasking: Be able to start a split view by long pressing on an app in multitasking tray and selecting ‘Open in Split View’, or via 3D Touch if this only works on compatible devices.
- Multitasking: Add support for split-view on iPhone, even if it’s on the iPhone 8 with the 5.8inch screen.
- Notes: Option to ask before deleting Notes in the Notes app, even if it they are not password protected.
- Notes: Option to share only specific notes with people on iCloud Family Sharing or other iOS users.
- Notes: Optical Character Reader (OCR) support by taking a photo with the camera on your device and it converts the text in the image into static editable text in a note.
Notification Centre (2):
- Notification Centre: Be able to swipe right all the way across the screen on notifications in notification center to delete notification.
- Notification Centre: Hide the Calendar Notification Centre widget if No Events to show for current day.
macOS on iOS (1):
- macOS on iOS: iBooks Author for iOS.
- Phone: Option in settings to automatically switch the speaker phone if the proximity sensor on your phone realises it is not next to your ear, during a call.
- Phone: Create a new blocking system for iPhones which blocks phone numbers that people block and are related to spam. Idea that when you add number to blocked contacts you mark it as personal or spam and spam marked numbers are synced with use of differential privacy to all iPhones.
- Photos: Be able to select individual albums to share via iCloud Family Sharing.
- Photos: Support for GIFs that people save from the internet to their photo library.
- Photos: Option to sync to iCloud Photo Library and then automatically delete local copy from iOS device.
Photo Booth (2):
- Photo Booth: Photo Booth for iPhone and iPod Touch.
- Photo Booth: Ability to delete/remove/hide it on iOS device if not wanted by users.
- Podcasts: Ability to tap into your iTunes Library on my Mac or PC and stream podcasts to your iOS device through your Wi-Fi network (like you can with movies and TV Shows in the Video app).
Proactive Assistant (1):
- Proactive Assistant: Get Siri to scan your emails to make you stay up-to-date with promises you made etc. that are not in your calendar or reminders. [Like Cortana on Windows 10].
- Reminders: Improve the speed and reliability of ticking items off in Reminders app that you have completed.
- Safari: Child friendly extension built into Safari, that blocks swear words and other explicit content as the page loads.
- Safari: Integrate iCloud Open Tabs into a separate section below favourites on new tab screen.
- Security: Rootless security making it really difficult to jailbreak.
- Settings: Low Power Mode for iPad, even if it’s just for future iPads with A10 Fusion chip or newer and uses the lower clocked CPUs instead.
- Settings: Ability to change default apps by replacing one that exists with a 3rd party option.
- Settings: Different volume level controls for phone call, SMS’s, notifications and in-app sounds separately.
- Settings: Option to keep low power mode on all the time, regardless of power level or if you have recharged your device to at least 80%.
- Settings: Option to toggle cellular data on iOS devices with a SIM card slot in Control Centre.
- Settings: Option to toggle personal hotspot on iOS devices with a SIM card slot in Control Centre.
- Settings: Option to display seconds in clock in status bar like on macOS.
- Settings: Ability to customize what applications is opened when certain Lightning devices are plugged in. E.g. headphones for Apple Music or Spotify, or charging dock for an alarm.
- Settings: Customize the height of which reachability drops down too for people that have smaller or larger hands then the average human.
- Settings: Customize the clock icon in Control Centre to always go to one of World Clock, Timer, Stopwatch and Alarm and not always Timer.
- Settings: Sound Check option in sound section of settings app to apply it system wide. Useful if watching YouTube videos that were exported at different volume levels, so you can standardise all audio being output at an consistent decibel reading.
- Settings: Allowed to enter Restrictions area in Settings app with the use of Touch ID.
- Settings: Settings screen dedicated to allowing certain features to keep the screen turned on all the time when in use. E.g. iCloud Backups to keep track of progress or always on when plugged into power or playing a game (if not already pre-programmed by developer).
- Settings: Give users the choice of what the maximum download size is over cellular. So it can be like 150MB for an app update if you have cellular data about to expire since many apps are around 100MB, which is the limit currently.
- Settings: Option for Do Not Disturb mode to have separate hours that it is enabled, for each day of the week and support for location. E.g. if working in a hospital, automatically set phone to silent or do not disturb mode so it does not go off when you’re there.
- Settings: Option to turn on low power mode automatically when at a certain battery percentage. Like how Do Not Disturb turns on at a set time but at certain battery percentage.
- Settings: Allow the option for VIP Emails to alert you with a notification even when Do Not Disturb is turned on. Think of it as like a tiered Do Not Disturb mode.
- Settings: Allow all languages besides your default language (when upgrading to iOS 11) to not be installed on your device and ability to download the relevant language support files etc. upon request on a language-by-language basis.
- Settings: Be able to sort a list of preferred Wi-Fi networks in terms or priority connecting too, like on macOS.
- Settings: Ability to rename your connected Bluetooth devices. (EverythingApplePro)
- Siri: Activate ‘Hey Siri’ with customizable phrase. E.g. ‘Hey Jarvis” from Iron Man. Likely won’t happen though, but this method could help prevent people in public or online videos with catchphrases like ‘Hey Siri’ which offsets some people’s devices with similar voices.
- Siri: Siri being less reliant on web search results and more accurate in finding answers like Google Assistant.
- Siri: Siri API expanded to support sports apps to get live updates etc., including AFL in Australia.
- Siri: Option to save a song that is scanned by Siri powered by Shazam automatically to a dedicated playlist in the music app if you are an Apple Music subscriber, like what the Shazam app itself does but via Siri.
- Siri: Ability to use Siri to discover a song with Shazam without having to say ‘What song is this?’ to get it to listen as a fast way of getting your results.
- Siri: Offline Siri support for voice to text and for local functions like calculations or playing a song in your offline music. Download on a language-by-language basis. Also critical so it works with AirPods when no internet access.
- Siri: Siri able to show weather radar when prompted instead of web search results.
- Siri: Option to toggle what types of questions you can ask Siri from the lock screen. E.g. disable option to change settings controls like Airplane mode but allow other commands like play a song from Apple Music.
- Siri: Option to select the default search engine for Siri web search results.
- Siri: Siri API for alternative voices to use, implemented in a way similar to setting up 3rd party keyboards from apps.
- Siri: Siri API for 3rd Party applications that do more than just open the application, but expand upon what is currently available.
- Siri: Allow Siri to gain Continuity/Handoff functionality. E.g. Siri on iPhone to play a movie from Netflix on your Apple TV etc.
- Siri: Option to type in the Siri interface straight away, which may be quicker than opening an app etc. and ideal when out in public.
- Siri: Ask Siri ‘How loud is this?’ and it would show a decibel reading.
- Spotlight: Be able to type a word into spotlight search and get a dictionary definition and a few synonyms (if enabled in settings).
- Spotlight: Ability for Siri functionality to work in Spotlight by typing what you want in the search bar within Spotlight. Think of it as a non-voice based Siri.
- Stocks App: UI Redesign for Stocks app to a white background with black text, then look like it does in iOS 10 when using dark mode.
Touch ID (1):
- Touch ID: Use Touch ID or passcode when powering off your device to prevent thieves from stealing it since they can turn off the phone without even getting past the login screen.
- Usability: Customizable Control Centre.
- Usability: Picture in Picture Mode for video on iPhone.
- Usability: Ability to change the system default font between a few options.
- Usability: Improved Slide Over switcher (maybe app icons listed based on last used instead of tiles).
- Usability: All iOS Stock Apps support Split View (especially for iPad Pro).
- Usability: Expand USB device support on iOS via the Lightning to USB adapter to work with audio devices, keyboards, capture cards, TV tuners, serial adapters, external cameras and mass storage devices.
- Usability: The option for people to lock the orientation for certain apps on an app-by-app basis.
- Usability: Be able to change out either of the apps in split view mode regardless of side at any time.
- Usability: Option for a search feature when changing/selecting apps to use in Split View at the very top as faster than scrolling through hundreds of compatible apps.
- Usability: Toggle in Control Centre for Vibration to be enabled and disabled.
- Usability: Provide confirmation like they do in Apple Music when a song is added to your library, for when you save an image to your photos app from Safari for example.
- Usability: Ability to tweak animation transition times going between apps and home screen. (EverythingApplePro)
- Usability: Get rid of the volume control animation in the middle of the screen and put it into a bar on the top of the display or similar to what the YouTube app does. (EverythingApplePro)
- Usability: Improved one handed mode instead of reachability, make the iPhone screen shrink to like 2/3rds the size. (EverythingApplePro)
- Usability: Allow auto-rotation to be enabled when you are playing back a video instead of having to toggle it in control centre every time you start and stop watching a video.
Voice Memos (2):
- Voice Memos: Updated Voice Memos app icon with a microphone instead of ‘Apple’ being spoken as the wavelength for the icon.
- Voice Memos: Ability to sync Voice Memos via iCloud to all of your devices. Could be useful for news journalists etc. who use their phone to record audio.
- Wallet: Support for a front and back photo of your driver’s license and insurance cards hidden behind a Touch ID authentication and cards validated with relevant government agencies etc. as the last critical thing needed to stop people using their physical wallets and purses.
Weather App (1):
- Weather: Weather Radar in default weather app. 3D Touch a selected city to get the radar.
3D Touch (9):
- 3D Touch: Scrollable 3D Touch app icon shortcuts menu to show more options, but take up same screen space.
- 3D Touch: 3D Touch Music app icon to shortcut into a pre-selected playlist or album of your choosing (the one you listen to most).
- 3D Touch: Improved 3D Touch for sketches in Notes app to give option of being more exaggerated in pressure sensitivity when drawing sketches.
- 3D Touch: Be able to peek and pop from Notifications in notification center. E.g. on a message to view the conversation/previous messages.
- 3D Touch: Option to 3D Touch the App Store icon to launch the update screen instead of updating all apps automatically.
- 3D Touch: Options for 3D Touch on Messages app, to just show pre-set options and not proactive contacts.
- 3D Touch: Options for 3D Touch on Phone app, to just show pre-set options and not proactive contacts.
- 3D Touch: 3D Touch on quick toggles in Control Centre to open up respective menus. E.g. Wi-Fi = all Wi-Fi networks available or open the settings menu.
- 3D Touch: Be able to tilt your finger when applying pressure during a peek & pop so it will show content further down in what you could pop into. E.g. see a bit more of a Safari webpage, or Apple Music Playlist etc. beyond the header at the top.
This means my grand total of features/tweaks I want to see in iOS 11 is 233 at time of publishing and is now currently at 245.
Obviously I do not expect anywhere near all of them to happen, but even if say 30 of them were done, it would make iOS just that much better.
Go through this list I realizes that a real hidden feature that I really want in iOS 11, is options as a whole. I’m not saying I want something like Android where you could pick which digital assistant you want to use for example, but options that tweak existing services and applications to be more personalise devices to each user’s preferences. After all if they can tweak some minor things to make it easier to use their phones, well that is essentially critical to create a great user experience.
Rumours are definitely harder to come by when it comes to software updates but there have been a few that have come around this year.
The following features are rumoured to be included in this years iOS update:
- Augmented Reality features (likely iPhone 8 exclusive).
- Group Facetime Video Calling, up to 5 people.
- Peer-to-Peer Apple Pay: Complete revamp of the Wallet app with a social feed like Venmo but also work via iMessage module.
- FaceTime Audio becoming default with calls between iPhones for better audio quality. Will use just under 1MB of data per minute.
- Auto Low Power Mode when a device disconnects from your home Wi-Fi network and has 20% battery or less assuming you have left home, it will automatically turn on Low Power Mode, assuming you won’t be anywhere near a charger.
- Update to Apple Music app to better showcase videos on the service.
- Expanded Apple Pencil support on iPad Pro.
- Dark Mode across iOS entirely.
- Major Siri update, introducing contextual learning abilities and deep integration with iMessage and iCloud.
- Apple’s Eddy Cue hinted during a Recode conference that updates are on the way to the Podcasts app, maybe with a way to generate more revenue for podcasters.
Based on the rumoured listed above, I would certainly not be disappointed with any of these, they are all great additions but am starting to wonder if there are more important features/updates/tweaks that need to be completed, such as improving multitasking and split-view support, but again this is all good stuff.
Apple always drops support for really old devices every-year.
This year it is expected that you would be required to have an Apple A7 Chip or newer to get support for iOS 11.
This means the iPhone 5, 5c and iPad 4th Generation will all likely lose support this year for software updates with them running the A6/X chips inside them.
One thing that has me excited this year is that the A7 chip was the first to support 64-bit processing, which means that Apple could make a move and compile their OS to only support 64-bit and all apps that do not stay up to date would be forced to be updated to get improved processing power and yes I even have a few on my phone that have not even been updated to support 64-bit within the past 3 years, with one being fixed recently.
In iOS 10.3 Apple brought a feature to list all 32-bit only apps, so this is definitely a sign that what I just mentioned will most likely come true.
I had a lot of fun coming up with this revised list, but this whole blog post leads me to the question:
“What features in this list do you want to see most? And are there any features you can think of that are not listed?”
Be sure to leave a comment below or message me directly on Twitter @neilh_apps.
- EverythingApplePro iOS 11 Wishlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM_2QL5yKHA