iOS 10 will be Apple’s next mobile operating system for the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch coming in 2016.
It is expected like most previous years to be announced in June 2016 at Apple’s WorldWide Developer Conference (WWDC) held at the Moscone West venue in San Francisco, USA.
Out of self interest not long after iOS 9 was released to the public last year (non-beta version) I started to ask myself if there was much more that Apple could do to improve iOS besides the obvious ones like home screen widgets, improve performance, customizable control centre and a better designed music app (not to say the current one is terrible)?
As it turns out, I made myself a word document to list all of the things that in my opinion, need to be added or tweaked in iOS 10 or the coming years afterwards.
As of the time writing this blog post initially, it was at 232 and is now at 375.
Where is iOS Going:
Before I start to list all of them, I just want to make a brief statement on where I think iOS is going in the next few years.
iOS 9 as it currently stands is a really matured operating system since the original iPhone was released in 2007 with what was then called iPhone OS (iOS 1), but iOS is lacking things, like already implemented features not being used to their full potential (e.g. 3D Touch) and other features like what Android has had for ages (e.g. home screen widgets and non-strict app grid).
What Apple’s team in Cupertino is doing is coming up with features that we cannot even think of. My list is intending to focus on features that we believe will be implement soon and refinements that need to be made, to make the whole experience better.
If you look back over the past few years, the operating system updates that feels the most substantial (or at least in my opinion) are the years when the ‘S’ models for iPhones are released. This is likely because the software will help drive the sales of the ‘S’ model iPhones since they look almost identical to their previous model (e.g. iPhone 5s is similar to 5 and 6s is similar to 6). Because of this, I am getting this feeling that iOS 10 is likely going to be a refinements based release with maybe a few major new features introduced.
If you look back at the past few years, you will be able to start to notice a trend of when the major OS updates have more major features:
2011: iOS 5 and iPhone 4s = Siri, Notification Centre, Twitter Integration, iMessage and iCloud.
2012: iOS 6 and iPhone 5 = Apple Maps with Turn by Turn Directions, Do Not Disturb, Passbook and FaceBook Integration.
2013: iOS 7 and iPhone 5s = Entire UI Redesign, Control Centre, full multitasking, AirDrop and Touch ID.
2014: iOS 8 and iPhone 6 = 3rd Party Keyboards, Notification Centre Widgets, Family Sharing, iCloud Drive and Continuity.
2015: iOS 9 and iPhone 6s = 3D Touch, News App, Apple Music, Slide Over & Split View, Proactive Assistant and Low Power Mode.
200+ iOS Features/Tweaks Wishlist:
To start with, the list of features below have multiple focuses to it, including:
- What I personally want to see.
- What others have said on the internet as to what they want to see.
- What I believe other people will want to see.
- What is rumoured to come to iOS.
- A list of really small changes that need to be made that can have a big impact.
- What updates need to be made that help support the iOS products and services.
- What features need to be included in iOS apps on Android such as Apple Music.
- What new services need to be introduced or services that already exist that are used on iOS that need some changes.
- What I want to see from a developer perspective with Xcode and APIs etc. that will impact what iOS apps will do in the future.
- Changes that I and others would like to see that may never happen (but want them).
This list has been made, refined and checked multiple times , including when updates to software came out including iOS 9.1 and iOS 9.2 (currently on iOS 9.2.1 at time of typing this blog initially) and is continuously being added to up until the major announcement.
That being said, in no particular order with grouping the types of changes where possible to make it easier to process, here is my wish list for iOS.
New Features (12):
- New Feature: Windowed app mode, which would display a 4.7inch iPhone size app on an iPad screen. Think of it as Slide Over + Picture in Picture built in one. (Like the windowed mode on recent flagship Samsung smartphones and tablets).
- New Feature: Native iPad second display to MacBook support. Like Duet but built into iOS.
- New Feature: Separate downloadable VR application to work with a potential upcoming VR headset that Tim Cook hinted at during Q1 2015/16 financial results in Jan 2016.
- New Feature: Universal Night/Dark Mode like on OS X Yosemite but take it a step further and apply it to Apple apps that have a white background and compatible API for developers to use and option to turn on automatically at night etc.
- New Feature: Ultra Low Power Mode that turns off all services except for phone calls and SMS and black and white screen.
- New Feature: Provide an estimate time left to recharge an iOS device on the lock screen.
- New Feature: Offer the option to make iPhone unlock at home without the need for a passcode or Touch ID.
- New Feature: Offer the option to make a device unlock when paired to an Apple Watch.
- New Feature: Allow Facebook Messenger to use bubbles for current chats when the app is running in the background to make it quicker to access.
- New Feature: Toggle switch while in Split View mode to switch the apps to opposite sides of the screen, so people don’t need to open the apps in a set way.
- New Feature: Apple Music service equivalent but for books in the iBooks app.
- New Feature: Apple Music service equivalent but for movies and TV Shows which has been rumoured a lot recently.
- AirPlay: Peer-to-Peer AirPlay being overruled even when both are connected to the same Wi-Fi network for improved performance (only used when one is not on Wi-Fi currently).
- AirPlay: Multi-room AirPlay support for iOS, especially for Apple Music throughout a house etc.
App Store (4):
- App Store: Ability to tap on app icon in Updates screen on App Store on iPad, to see the whole app’s details like you would if you search for an app.
- App Store: Improved search algorithms that provide more accurate search results. E.g. searching for a particular app by exact name could end up being a dozen down in the list of search results.
- App Store: Improved charts algorithms to recommend new and note worthy apps and not necessarily rehashes of existing apps.
- App Store: Sort the updates section into some form of chronological order for available updates. Whether it be by name alphabetically or by date with most recent at top.
Apple ID/Accounts (5):
- Apple ID/Accounts: Multiple Account Login (at least on iPad) and could be achieved via Touch ID with one fingerprint each.
- Apple ID/Accounts: Support for multiple Apple IDs on the same device for those that make purchases on multiple IDs over previous years.
- Apple ID/Accounts: Support for a guest mode that has only the default iOS apps without access to any of your personal data.
- Apple ID/Accounts: Support for having separate iTunes credit or credit cards for each account that is linked to a Family Sharing account for reasons including Apple Music.
- Apple ID/Accounts: Option to pick certain items to not sync to all family members on a Family Sharing account, including Calendars, Notes etc. by admin of Family Sharing account setting the option to individual so no sync between any.
Apple Music/Music App (36):
- Music: Customizable/rearrangeable tabs at the bottom.
- Music: Option for playlists, albums, songs etc. as separate tabs.
- Music: Remove Recently Added at top of My Music and Playlists sections.
- Music: Improved download times for Apple Music songs to download for offline listening as inconsistent.
- Music: Be able to download music offline from Now Playing screen on Apple Music.
- Music: Option to load a music application when you plug in a headphone jack (on compatible iOS devices).
- Apple Music: Toggle to use Apple Music with the music you listen to not being considered for further recommendations or remove songs from history that you do not listen too.
- Apple Music: Option for producers to allow users to stream podcasts only on Apple Music if it helps create funding (competitor to Patreon).
- Music App: Support for Digital Booklets from iTunes purchases in the iOS Music app.
- Apple Music: Digital Booklets from music albums added to Apple Music with dedicated section to view them all in.
- Apple Music: Improved streaming loading times for Apple Music.
- Apple Music: Improved loading times for the Apple Music For You and New pages.
- Apple Music: Option to download music from Apple Music at 128kbps on any device with any form of Internet connection.
- Apple Music: Lyric support in the iOS Music app and support via Apple Music streaming service.
- Apple Music: Option to auto-download so many ‘For You’ playlists in music app when on Wi-Fi.
- Apple Music: Improved way of understanding what playlists are synced between devices and which are not and option to make certain playlists device exclusive.
- Apple Music: Option to not delete music that was downloaded offline from Apple Music when you have signed out (for at least 24 hours) which forces you to re-download and organizes all playlists etc. But making it not playable until you sign back in is understandable.
- Apple Music: Fix a bug where merging Apple Music playlists always resulted in the playlists with fewer songs in it being the new copy.
- Apple Music: Option to not sync playlists between devices that are subscribed on Apple Music. Few extra playlists on iTunes that you do not need on your iPhone or iPad.
- Music App: When a song is queued by you to play next have the option to play all songs after it that are on that album or playlist.
- Apple Music: Significantly improved searching reliability for Apple Music on iOS. It took 30mins to try and search for a song on Wi-Fi, 3G and LTE and got nowhere with it when the search feature was down.
- Apple Music: Fix a bug where playlists in ‘For You’ section of Apple Music app are repeated multiple times.
- Android: Tablet support for Apple Music app on Android.
- Music App: Allow artwork for playlists in the iPad Music app to change the background colour and not have it as just white regardless of thumbnail image.
- Music App: Picture in Picture mode for videos in Apple Music app.
- Apple Music: Allow the ability to do live streaming in Apple Music Connect for interviews, concerts and shows.
- Apple Music: Better Integration with Beats 1 Shows in Apple Music in regards to getting people to ask questions etc.
- Apple Music: Apple getting artists to post exclusive content to Apple Music Connect.
- Apple Music: Notification/Following system on Apple Music so you get notifications if artists have a live show on Beats 1 or a new song or album out.
- Music App: Option to have a built-in Shazam button via 3D Touch on app icon and detected song would automatically be shown on Apple Music (if subscribed).
- Music App: Fix the bug where it would show a random artwork cover from a song in your Apple Music library or from the Apple Music service that you have not added to your device, on the lock screen.
- Music App: Add a forward and back 15 second skipping buttons, as easier than fiddling with a progress bar to just go back a few seconds.
- Apple Music: Addition of collaborative streaming radio stations and playlists.
- Apple Music: Give a clear indication as to what is a music video when searching through the Apple Music catalogue.
- Apple Music: Make videos published on artist’s connect pages be visible in the Apple Music catalogue search results.
- Music App: Support for landscape mode like in iOS 8.3 and earlier. Possibly achieved via cover flow like on older versions of iOS.
Apple Maps (8):
- Apple Maps: Indoor Mapping support in Apple Maps.
- Apple Maps: Street View support in Apple Maps.
- Apple Maps: Augmented Reality mode in Apple Maps app that shows you businesses or buildings you can see with your camera.
- Apple Maps: Support for real lane guidance while using turn-by-turn directions.
- Apple Maps: Be able to provide toll road costs upon request when going on selected route.
- Apple Maps: Support for multi-stop routes on turn-by-turn directions.
- Apple Maps: Always provide an option for a route that does not require tolls.
- Apple Maps: Improved and expanded support for Public Transit directions.
Apple News (3):
- Apple News: Universal News App (Facebook News Feed, Twitter feed and Apple News feed all in one).
- Apple News: Improved loading times in Apple News app.
- Apple News: Support for Apple News app in more countries and languages.
Apple Pay (4):
- Apple Pay: Peer-to-Peer Mobile Payment Solution (Apple Pay but between iPhones).
- Apple Pay: Apple Pay support for all major banks and credit cards in Australia.
- Apple Pay: Allow Apple Pay to get cash out at ATM’s for businesses that do cash only.
- Apple Pay: Support for Apple Pay on mobile websites in Safari on iOS.
Apple Watch App (2):
- Apple Watch: Apple Watch app being delete-able for people who do not own an Apple Watch and able to re-download later.
- Apple Watch: Be able to pair one Apple Watch to more than one iPhone for people that might own two with one for work and one for personal since no dual-sim support.
- Calendar: Solid natural language input for adding appointments.
- Camera: Widescreen Photos mode in Camera app.
- Camera: Camera format improvements that maintain quality but reduce file size, as 12MP and 4K.
- Camera: Twist your wrist with iPhone to open the camera instantly, even if device is locked/screen off.
- Camera: Option for QHD (2560×1440) video recording instead of 4K, if using a 16GB iPhone.
- Camera: Ability to change video resolution in the camera app directly.
- Camera: Ability to open the camera by double pressing the power/lock button like other smartphones.
- Camera: Ability to change the camera photo resolution for images and in the app directly.
- Camera: Option to swipe up on Camera icon from the lock screen into a pre-set mode being Photo, Selfie, Video, Slow-Mo, Square or Panorama modes which overrules what the last mode was that you had opened.
- Camera: Option to take photos and videos at a lower resolution automatically if you are low on storage space. E.g. less than 5GB free space.
- Camera: Ability to record Live Photos with no sound.
- Camera: Manual Camera mode in default iOS Camera app.
- Camera: Change swipe between modes in iOS camera app to a single button menu as faster.
- Camera: Add the ability to toggle 3×3 grid for the camera, in the camera app itself.
- Camera: Ability to setup photos to be automatically saved into a dedicated album (either by selecting an album or via photo recognition of family or scenery shots etc.)
- Camera: Camera API that enables code recognition from multiple apps like a Snapchat code or Facebook Messenger code.
- Clock: Option to set a playlist as your alarm sound to play a song randomly from it.
- Clock: Option to set an iTunes Radio station as your alarm including Beats 1.
- Clock: Increase the size of the snooze button to make it easier to press when you’ve been woken up by the alarm.
- Contacts: Contacts and Phone app show if a contact is available to talk (if there phone is in silent mode = busy).
- Contacts: Ability to create contact groups to make it quicker to send out an SMS to multiple people.
- Contacts: Ability to delete the Contacts app from iOS, since it is as whole the equivalent of only one section in the phone app on iPhone but option to re-download from the App Store.
- Compatibility: Chromecast/Audio support (but not announced for iOS or at least included in Apple Music app on Android).
- Compatibility: Better optimized applications for iPad Pro in regards to UI.
- Compatibility: Option to run OS X when in keyboard mode on iPad Pro and work with optional Bluetooth mouse. (Can result in the first so called cellular MacBook and a true Surface Pro competitor).
- Compatibility: Support for NFC (Near Field Communication) accessories that use tap and go (e.g. headphones for pairing) on iPhone 6 and later.
- Compatibility: Re-written Apple default apps in Swift for better performance.
- Compatibility: Maintain the same level of performance on older hardware by optimizing to old Apple A-Numbered series chips.
- Compatibility: Make it possible to print to any printer that is on the same Wi-Fi LAN Network that the iPad is connected too. Will help a lot in the enterprise and business markets encouraging users to use iPads instead of laptops.
- Compatibility: Redesigned status bar for iPad Pro due to large gaps at the top and being small text on a large surface.
- Compatibility: Mirror your iPhone or iPad screen to QuickTime on OS X without the need of a USB cable. Along the lines of an AirPlay like setup.
- Compatibility: Improved battery life.
- Compatibility: Weather App for iPad.
- Compatibility: Calculator App for iPad.
- Compatibility: Improved Low Power Mode, as I am lucky to get more than 30mins extra juice out of Low Power Mode from 100% down to 0% battery.
- Compatibility: Support for 50:50 Split View in Portrait mode.
- Compatibility: Support for landscape mode for Music Memos app on iPad.
- Compatibility: Add support for Split View and Picture in Picture to Apple Trailers app.
- Compatibility: PiP mode being enabled forcing the app to then go out of the video app itself (or equivalent) except for Safari.
- Compatibility: PiP video still visible while in multitasking mode or pause it until out of multitasking mode.
- Compatibility: Improved PiP mode transition times from app to PiP mode.
- Compatibility: Support to use Low Power Mode and Night Shift mode at the same time on any compatible iOS device.
- Compatibility: Split View support two windows at the same time. E.g. two word documents or two webpages opened side by side.
- Compatibility: Option to open URLs in a separate window in split view mode or replace one of the windows in split-view mode.
- Compatibility: A simple way to drag and drop files between apps in split-view mode.
- Compatibility: Official support for animated GIF’s.
- Compatibility: Support for all iOS Default apps to work in landscape mode on iPhone 6/6s Plus.
- Compatibility: Further implementation with Apple’s share sheet in default iOS apps.
Compass App (1):
- Compass App: UI Redesign for Compass app as it seems out of place compared to other default iOS apps.
- Developer: iTunes Connect submitting apps/update be easier and faster (drag and drop file into web browser).
- Developer: NFC (Near Field Communication) Developer APIs.
- Developer: Bug Reporting app from App Store for public versions of iOS (ban people via Apple ID for that service if they abuse it).
- Developer: Faster review times for iOS Apps (down to 2-3 days instead of 6-7 days ideally).
- Developer: Swift 3.0 Released.
- Developer: Be able to scroll with a mouse scroll wheel in Xcode Simulators on table views and scroll views as feels more natural for development.
- Developer: Give developers options for redemption codes that the general public can redeem in the iOS App Store app for paid apps and in-app purchases that can be distributed via social media etc.
- Developer: Iris Scanner APIs for developers to use.
- Developer: Updated SceneKit frameworks and APIs to be compatible with a potential Apple VR headset that works with a Bluetooth controller.
- Developer: CloudKit support for Android, which will save many developers money from spending on other services and help developers who have been using Parse.com.
- Developer: Create an API for 3rd party developers to use the clock status bar icon for alarms that are enabled in their own apps.
- Developer: Introduce a deadline for new apps that are created for the App Store by developers to support all new device resolutions and screen sizes. 12 months might be ideal.
- Developer: Pressure larger companies like Google and Facebook to update their apps to support the latest iOS features. E.g. Picture in Picture and Split View in the YouTube app. Update: As of 23rd March 2016, YouTube has added Split View and Slide Over but still no PiP support.
- Developer: Option for developers to disable device volume controls appearing in the middle of the screen during games when they turn the volume up and down with buttons.
- Developer: Custom View Controller Extension Providers (e.g. get creators of extensions to offer APIs to let developers integrate into their own apps).
- Developer: Markup View Controller that lets developers integrate a drawing mode like from the Notes app into developers own apps to save them from creating the mode from scratch.
- Developer: Make iOS apps compatible on OS X to make it easier to get more downloads.
- Developer: CloudKit support to share data on a specific account basis and not everyones data be synced through either the private or public databases.
- Developer: Have a new mode in Xcode that allows developers to create simple image assets that could easily be made in programs like Microsoft Paint and save as vector images for reduce file sizes.
- Developer: Have a new system where if you are dealing with NSUserDefaults you can see at any point in time, what value is given to every key in the app itself, to help get a clearer understanding of what is working and what is not.
- Developer: Support for PiP videos that are not of an Apple default/QuickTime compatible format.
- FaceTime: FaceTime Conference Video Calling.
- FaceTime: Bring out a FaceTime application for Android so iOS users can video call users on other platforms (instead of Skype).
- FaceTime: Option when leaving a message after declining a call to only be visible in FaceTime app and not in Messages to keep the context relevant.
- FaceTime: Option to switch from a video call to an audio call and vice versa, mid-way through a call.
- FaceTime: Option to share your iPhone’s screen with someone via FaceTime.
- FaceTime: Allow the user to view the person making the call before you answer the video phone call, like what Google Duo does.
Find My Friends (1):
- Find My Friends: Ability to delete the Find My Friends app from iOS but option to re-download from the App Store.
Game Centre (1):
- Game Centre: Option to disable Game Centre banner appearing every time you open an App Store game that uses it.
- Handoff: Improved/working Handoff support.
- Handoff: Option for Handoff working via Wi-Fi only and no need for Bluetooth to save battery life.
- Handoff: Mirror your iPhone’s screen onto your iPad with the same screen size as your phone. E.g. 4.0inch rectangle on iPad for iPhone 5s.
- Handoff: Get Handoff to work for iOS apps to webpages in default web browser on OS X (e.g. Facebook native iOS app to website on OS X).
- AirDrop: Improved performance and reliability.
Home App (1):
- Home App: Home application that is focused on setting up and controlling HomeKit devices.
Home Screen (13):
- Home Screen: No strict layout for home screen (remove top left to bottom right formula for app icon placement).
- Home Screen: Dynamic app icons for developers. Like calendar updating daily.
- Home Screen: Panoramas for the home screen.
- Home Screen: Option to swipe down on home screen for notification centre and spotlight only appearing on the far left home screen.
- Home Screen: Customizable app widgets like in notification centre but for spotlight screen.
- Home Screen: 3rd Party Themes to change the home screen and lock screen via separate apps like Android.
- Home Screen: Option to scroll up and down when in landscape mode on iPhone Plus models to go through home screen. Disable swipe down to view Spotlight search.
- Home Screen: Option to disable landscape home screen on iPhone Plus models.
- Home Screen: Nested folders on the home screen.
- Home Screen: Allow playing Live Photos or a live wallpaper as the wallpaper on the home screen.
- Home Screen: Able to have more app icons on the home screen on iPad or more so on iPad Pro.
- Home Screen: Option for developers to add app icons that have a transparent background like some Android app icons.
- Home Screen: Ability to reorganize app icons etc. differently for landscape mode and not be necessarily automatic based of what it is in portrait mode.
- iCloud: More iCloud Storage space if you own multiple iOS devices (not same 5GB for backups for iPhone, iPad and MacBook) or for iCloud Family Sharing users.
- iCloud: iCloud Voicemail that uses Siri for speech to text for a message which removes the need to have a voicemail setup and call fees to check your voicemail.
- iCloud: Improved reliability and upload speeds to Apple’s servers for iCloud Backups.
- iCloud: Improved file management system whether it is in iCloud Drive or integrated into iOS apps.
- iCloud: More granular controls over iCloud Photo backups as to best times to do the backup, what albums to backup (for privacy reasons) etc.
- iCloud: Stronger form of encryption for iCloud backups and synced data in response to FBI case, etc.
iTunes on OS X (2):
- iTunes on OS X: Be able to sync iTunes offline music from Apple Music on OS X to iOS devices to save download (work by the same Apple ID on iTunes and iOS device).
- iTunes on OS X: Fix the bug where updated apps are not syncing with iTunes on your Mac to then sync to other iOS devices to help save download.
- Keyboard: Option for Command Key for the iPad Keyboard to make it easier to do shortcuts like you would on OS X. E.g. CMD + C for Copy and CMD + V for paste.
- Keychain: Support for 3rd Party apps to sync passwords via Keychains.
Lock Screen (6):
- Lock Screen: Be able to swipe right all the way across the screen on lock screen notifications to delete notification.
- Lock Screen: Option to display current weather temperature on the lock screen before Date appears based on your current location or pre-set location.
- Lock Screen: Option to draw a path to unlock your device instead of a 4 or 6 digit PIN or alphanumeric password.
- Lock Screen: Iris Scanner support on the lock screen.
- Lock Screen: Double tap on the screen when locked to show the lock screen as an alternative to lock button or Touch ID.
- Lock Screen: Ability to set a specific app to open by dragging from the bottom left upwards on the lock screen if no other relevant apps from Handoff or music app etc. that needs to be shown.
- Mail: Improved reliability and syncing with mail services in iOS Mail app.
- Mail: Ability to set a Do Not Disturb mode for new mail coming in from certain contacts or during certain hours of the day, or when using your Mac.
- Mail: Ability to select all emails and delete all for the particular folder/inbox of the email account (or optionally turn on via restrictions being how nasty it could be to accidentally do).
- Messages: Support for stickers via iMessage.
- Messages: Read Receipts for group messages (like FaceBook Messenger).
- Messages: Support for Digital Touch features from Apple Watch in Messages.
- Messages: Be able to receive heart beats on your iPhone 6s/Plus from an Apple Watch user thanks to Taptic Engine.
- Messages: Do a long press on the send button to send a high priority message that over-rules the Do Not Disturb mode feature.
- Messages: Be able to change the size of your text message for iMessages as a new etiquette for shouting or wispering (like Google Allo).
- Messages: Be able to mark a single message or conversation (with an single contact or group) as unread to come back to later, and optionally automatically add it to notification centre.
- Multitasking: Option to change Multitasking App Switcher from right to left instead of original to better suit 3D Touch app switch for single handed use (finger going from palm of hand away).
- Multitasking: Swipe up on home screen in multitasking tray to close all apps in the background.
- Notes: Option to ask before deleting Notes in the Notes app, even if it they are not password protected.
- Notes: Option to share only specific notes with people on iCloud Family Sharing or other iOS users.
- Notes: Optical Character Reader (OCR) support by taking a photo with the camera on your device and it converts the text in the image into static editable text in the note.
Notification Centre (6):
- Notification Centre: Be able to swipe right all the way across the screen on notifications in notification center to delete notification.
- Notification Centre: Either make the Calendar Notification Centre widget smaller or hidden if No Events to show for current day.
- Notification Centre: Weather Widget in Notification Centre or in Proactive Assistant screen.
- Notification Centre: Provide an indicator for the notifications tab as to how many notifications you have. Say “Notifications (0)” if none to save people going to it to check.
- Notification Centre: Larger close buttons to make it easier to press instead of pressing multiple times because they are small.
- Notification Centre: A working solution to clear notifications that have been on one device on all devices, including stopping old notifications appearing on other devices when powered on.
OS X on iOS (1):
- OS X on iOS: iBooks Author for iOS.
- Phone: Improve Proactive Assistant for handling unknown numbers that works with other email providers besides iCloud email addresses.
- Phone: Option to block all phone calls that have their Caller ID hidden (e.g. Private Number).
- Phone: Automatically switch the speaker phone if the proximity sensor on your phone realises it is not next to your ear, during a call.
- Photos: Be able to select individual albums to share via iCloud Family Sharing.
- Photos: Support for GIFs.
- Photos: Option to sync to iCloud Photo Library and then automatically delete local copy from iOS device.
Photo Booth (1):
- Photo Booth: Photo Booth for iPhone and iPod Touch.
- Podcasts: Full screen support for videos in the iOS Podcasts app.
- Podcasts: Ability to delete the default Podcasts app from iOS but option to re-download from the App Store.
- Podcasts: Ability to tap into your iTunes Library on my Mac or PC and stream podcasts to your iOS device through your Wi-Fi network (like you can with movies and TV Shows in the Video app).
Proactive Assistant (2):
- Proactive Assistant: Ability to disable Proactive Assistant in certain ways that users may find annoying. E.g. queue music when docking iPhone on charger.
- Proactive Assistant: Get Siri to scan your emails to make you stay up-to-date with promises you made etc. that are not in your calendar or reminders. [Like Cortana on Windows 10].
- Reminders: Improve the speed and reliability of ticking items off in Reminders app that you have completed.
- Safari: Child friendly extension built into Safari, that blocks swear words and other explicit content as the page loads.
- Safari: Improved performance in Safari app and to WKWebView and UIWebView.
- Safari: Improve the iCloud open tabs on iPhone and iPad to just have an ‘X’ like from notification centre on the right hand side to forget the webpage instead of swiping left to reveal the close button to then press that.
- Security: Rootless security making it really difficult to jailbreak.
- Settings: Low Power Mode for iPad.
- Settings: Ability to change default apps by replacing one that exists with a 3rd party option and ability to download Apple ones from App Store again at a later time.
- Settings: Ability to disable the Proactive Screen left of home screen page.
- Settings: Option for a screensaver to play on your iPhone or iPad that lasts for a short while (pre-selected time), like how it works on the Apple TV or with Live Photos or photo slideshow.
- Settings: Built-in support for tracking Cellular and Wi-Fi usage and view it via notification centre widget. Separate and ability to monitor Wi-Fi usage for each Wi-Fi network (restart everyday or particular day of the month).
- Settings: Different volume level controls for phone call, SMS’s, notifications and in-app sounds separately.
- Settings: Option to keep low power mode on even if you have recharged your phone to at least 80%.
- Settings: Option to toggle cellular data on iOS devices with a SIM card slot in Control Centre.
- Settings: Option to toggle personal hotspot on iOS devices with a SIM card slot in Control Centre.
- Settings: Option to display seconds in clock in status bar like on OS X.
- Settings: Ability to customize what applications is opened when certain Lightning devices are plugged in. E.g. headphones for Apple Music or Spotify etc.
- Settings: Customize the height of which reachability drops down too for people that have smaller or larger hands then the average human.
- Settings: Customize the clock icon in Control Centre to always go to one of World Clock, Timer, Stopwatch and Alarm and not always Timer.
- Settings: Sound Check option from Music app to apply it system wide. Can be useful if watching YouTube videos that were exported at different volume levels.
- Settings: Improve the layout for the buttons on the Wallpaper selection screen instead of single row at the bottom of the screen.
- Settings: Allowed to enter Restrictions area in Settings app with the use of Touch ID.
- Settings: Option to show Bluetooth device’s battery percentage in status bar for compatible devices like Bluetooth headsets.
- Settings: Option to use the iPad Air keyboard in terms of width on an iPad Pro.
- Settings: Settings screen dedicated to allowing certain features to keep the screen turned on all the time when in use. E.g. iCloud Backups to keep track of progress or always on when plugged into power or playing a game (if not already pre-programmed by developer).
- Settings: Give users the choice of what the maximum download size is over cellular. So it can be like 150MB for an app update if you have cellular data about to expire since many apps are around 100MB, which is the limit currently.
- Settings: Option for Do Not Disturb mode to have separate hours that it is enabled, for each day of the week and support for location. E.g. if working in a hospital, automatically set phone to silent or do not disturb mode so it does not go off when you’re there.
- Settings: Option to change wallpapers on your iOS devices every day, weekly or monthly.
- Settings: Ability to set a dedicated app to open at a set time to listen to a podcast etc. as your alarm.
- Settings: Able to delete certain default apps from iOS, including Podcasts, Watch-app, Find My Friends, Tips and Stocks apps for people that do not use them and allow them to be re-downloaded from the App Store.
- Settings: Option to turn on low power mode automatically when at a certain battery percentage. Like how Do Not Disturb turns on at a set time but at certain battery percentage.
- Settings: Allow the option for VIP Emails to alert with a notification when Do Not Disturb is turned on.
- Settings: Option for all forms of communication from a contact in your phone being via phone, iMessage, SMS or Email alert you when Do Not Disturb is turned on.
- Settings: Allow all languages besides your default language (when upgrading to iOS 10) to not be installed on your device and ability to download the relevant language support files etc. upon request on a language-by-language basis.
- Settings: When the battery gets to 10% and 20%, display the option to to keep Night Shift mode on, or turn on Low Power Mode, alerting the user that only one option is available at a time.
- Settings: Allow people to specify apps when opened to disable either Night Shift or Low Power Mode. E.g. for when watching videos or playing games.
- Settings: Be able to toggle 4G/LTE on and off via Control Centre.
- Settings: Be able to sort a list of preferred Wi-Fi networks in terms or priority connecting too, like on OS X.
- Siri: Activate ‘Hey Siri’ with customizable phrase. E.g. ‘Hey Jarvis” from Iron Man. Likely won’t happen.
- Siri: Siri being less reliant on web search results.
- Siri: Siri no longer being silent in voice responses if your phone is in silent mode and then you change the switch to ringtone mode mid-speech.
- Siri: Siri work with a wider range of sports, including AFL in Australia, Cricket etc.
- Siri: Option to save a song that is scanned by Siri powered by Shazam automatically to a dedicated playlist in the music app if you are an Apple Music subscriber.
- Siri: Ability to use Siri to discover a song with Shazam without having to say ‘What is this song’ to get it to listen as a fast way of getting your results.
- Siri: Offline Siri support for voice to text and for local functions like calculations for playing a song in your offline music. Download on a language-by-language basis.
- Siri: Siri able to show weather radar when prompted instead of web search results.
- Siri: Option to toggle what types of questions you can ask Siri from the lock screen. E.g. disable option to change settings controls like Airplane mode but allow other commands like play a song from Apple Music.
- Siri: Option to select the default search engine for Siri web search results.
- Siri: Siri API for alternative voices to use, implement a way similar to setting up 3rd party keyboards from apps.
- Siri: Siri API for 3rd Party applications that do more than just open the application.
- Siri: Have an option for Siri to speak when you want your morning alarm to go off in terms of, date, temperature, appointments and whose birthdays are on that current day.
- Siri: Improved multi-language support with someone who speaks multiple languages.
- Siri: Option for Siri to appear in a split view like mode so you can keep working on your task while talking to Siri via “Hey Siri” function.
- Siri: Allow Siri to gain Continuity/Handoff functionality. E.g. Siri on iPhone to play a movie from Netflix on your Apple TV etc.
- Siri: Option to type in the Siri interface straight away, which may be quicker than opening an app etc. and ideal when out in public.
- Spotlight: Type ‘db’ in Spotlight search to activate a Decibel-O-meter.
- Spotlight: Fix bug where deleted apps are still showing up as Siri Suggestions in Proactive Spotlight screen.
- Spotlight: Be able to type a word into spotlight search and get a dictionary definition and a few synonyms (if enabled in settings).
- Stocks App: UI Redesign for Stocks app as it seems out of place compared to other default iOS apps.
Touch ID (2):
- Touch ID: Modify Touch ID recognition to better see lock screen. Real-time, normal or slow.
- Touch ID: Use Touch ID or passcode when powering off your device to prevent thieves from stealing it.
- Usability: Split View for iPhone Plus via multitasking screen.
- Usability: Customizable Control Centre.
- Usability: Double chop to activate flash like Moto X Style 2015.
- Usability: Picture in Picture Mode for video on iPhone.
- Usability: More polished OS from day 1 of the public release.
- Usability: Ability to change the system default font between a few options (not a critical feature).
- Usability: Improved Side View switcher (maybe app icons listed based on last used instead of tiles).
- Usability: All iOS Stock Apps support Split View (especially for iPad Pro).
- Usability: Ability to install the latest version of iOS from Recovery Mode without needing iTunes on Windows or OS X to help further implement the post-PC era.
- Usability: Expand USB device support on iOS via the Lightning to USB adapter to work with audio devices, keyboards, capture cards, TV tuners, serial adapters, external cameras and mass storage devices.
- Usability: The option for people to lock the orientation for certain apps on an app-by-app basis.
- Usability: Be able to change out either of the apps in split view mode regardless of side at any time.
- Usability: Option for a search feature when changing/selecting apps to use in Split View at the very top as faster than scrolling through hundreds of compatible apps.
- Usability: Toggle in Control Centre for Vibration to be enabled and disabled.
- Usability: Move the volume adjuster display to the side of the screen or make it smaller. Or option for developers to disable it when people are playing games.
- Usability: Provide confirmation like they do in Apple Music when a song is added to your library, for when you save an image to your photos app from Safari for example.
Video App (3):
- Video: Apple’s Video app support more video formats since it has PiP support.
- Video: iOS Videos app support HTML for metadata, as HTML tags appear mid way through descriptions for TV Shows etc. when there should be bold text.
- Video: Toggle switch for binge watching mode so video play one after the other or if not enabled, stop after each video.
Voice Memos (2):
- Voice Memos: Updated Voice Memos app icon with a microphone instead of ‘Apple’ being spoken as the wavelength for the icon.
- Voice Memos: Ability to sync Voice Memos via iCloud to all of your devices. Could be useful for news journalists etc. who use their phone to record audio.
- Wallet: Support for a front and back photo of your driver’s license and insurance cards hidden behind a Touch ID authentication and cards validated with relevant government agencies etc.
Weather App (1):
- Weather: Weather Radar in default weather app. 3D Touch a selected city to get the radar.
3D Touch (16):
- 3D Touch: Scrollable 3D Touch app icon shortcuts menu to show more options, but take up same screen space.
- 3D Touch: 3D Touch a blank area in Notification Centre to clear all notifications.
- 3D Touch: 3D Touch iTunes Store and Apple Music songs to hear up to a 30 second preview instead of 90 seconds.
- 3D Touch: Open apps via 3D Touch on Folder icons to save having to open folders.
- 3D Touch: 3D Touch Music app icon to shortcut into a pre-selected playlist or album of your choosing (the one you listen to most).
- 3D Touch: Improved 3D Touch for sketches in Notes app to give option of being more exaggerated in pressure sensitivity when drawing sketches.
- 3D Touch: Be able to peek and pop from Notifications in notification center. E.g. on a message to view the conversation/previous messages.
- 3D Touch: Option to 3D Touch the App Store icon to launch the update screen instead of updating all apps automatically.
- 3D Touch: Options for 3D Touch on Messages app, to just show pre-set options and not proactive contacts.
- 3D Touch: Options for 3D Touch on Phone app, to just show pre-set options and not proactive contacts.
- 3D Touch: 3D Touch on quick toggles in Control Centre to open up respective menus. E.g. Wi-Fi = all Wi-Fi networks available or open the settings menu.
- 3D Touch: Add 3D Touch support to the Activity app on iPhone.
- 3D Touch: Add 3D Touch support for the iCloud Drive app.
- 3D Touch: Add 3D Touch support for the Music Memos app.
- 3D Touch: Add 3D Touch support for the Find My iPhone app.
- 3D Touch: Be able to tilt your finger when applying pressure during a peek & pop so it will show content further down in what you could pop into. E.g. see a bit more of a Safari webpage, or Apple Music Playlist etc. beyond the header at the top.
Be sure to give this post a like if you have read to this point.
After categorizing all of these things on my iOS 10 Wish List, the 10 tentpole equivalent features would be in order:
- Apple Music/Music App (36)
- More options in Settings (32)
- Improved Compatibility (26)
- Developer (21)
- Siri (17)
- Usability (16)
- 3D Touch (16)
- Camera (15)
- Home Screen (13)
- New Features (12)
Older Devices Support:
Just like every major release of iOS starting with iOS 4 (and excluding iOS 9) Apple has been dropping support for older devices, which is why I would recommend if financially possible, to try and get the most recent phone possible as you’ll get longer support from it.
With iOS 10, I am expecting devices that use the A5 or even the A5X Chip to lose support with iOS 10 including the iPhone 4s, iPad 2, New iPad (3rd Generation), iPad Mini and iPod Touch 5G, but the following already released devices will be supported.
A6/X Chip: iPhone 5, iPhone 5c and iPad 4th Generation.
A7 Chip: iPhone 5s, iPad Air, iPad Mini 2 and iPad Mini 3.
A8/X Chip: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 4 and iPod Touch 6G.
A9/X Chip: iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus and iPad Pro.
That means 15 older devices will likely be supported when iOS 10 is released, where there was 16 older devices supported when iOS 9 was released in September 2015.
Apple will also be wanting to stop supporting the A5/X Chip this year for the following reasons:
- It has been around since 2011.
- Developers will not have to make their UI work for 3.5inch screens.
- iPad 2 and New iPad (3rd Generation) losing support will encourage people to upgrade their iPads to get a thinner, lighter, more powerful iPad with better specs.
- It will drop support for devices including the iPhone 4s and iPad 2, that are still using the 30-pin connector.
- They can put their effort into optimizing the software for the devices with the A6/X chip more, since the A5 would not need to be optimized.
I had a lot of fun come up with this list over the past few months and if you would like to see me do an equivalent wish list for OS X 10.12 or even watchOS 3 on the Apple Watch, tvOS 10 on the Apple TV or stock Android 7.0 (although I do not personally own or use any of the later 3 listed) please let me know in the comment section below or even like this post to show your support.
But this whole blog post, leads me to the question:
“What features in this list do you want to see most? And are there any features you can think of that are not listed?”
Be sure to leave a comment below as to what you want to see, as I am hoping we could get a discussion going as to coming up with the ultimate list of what everyone wants to see in iOS 10 and beyond to help get our voices as consumers/developers out there.
If this post gets a lot of views, I may look into doing more in-depth posts in my spare time, on some of these features to help better explain them beyond single sentences as to why I included them in my list.
That all being said, thank you very much for reading my blog post and be sure to like, comment and follow my blog for more posts like this in the future.